Date:      Wed, 04 Sep 1996 19:47:15 +1000
From:      Steve Zeck <viper@kuentos.guam.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hear me O BSDWizards!  Hear my plea!

OK, in my hour of desparate need, I finally turn to thee, the Wizards
of BSD to seek thy divine insight and guidance.  For lo, I have been
in possession of an EIDE Acer 8x CD-ROM (so claims the manual!  lo,
verily!).  But after I re-compiled the kernel with thy ATAPI options
and wcd0/1 controller support enabled, when I go forth to mount the
CD device in /dev, the computer sayeth unto me: "Device not
configured".  Many times has it spoken thus to me, and truly frustrated
have I been
becoming.  :(  Verily, have I followed all directions put forth in the
FAQ and the handbook, thusly have I put forth my plea on freebsd.misc,
and have I searched thy mail archives.  So, in my hour of need, I turn
to thee with great trepidation, for it seemeth to me that this is a
Stupid Question that I should know, or at least one that is oft asked.
If thy wizards find it thus fitting to enlighten me with the divine
truth of patching or re-configuring my kernel to support my CD, I
your humble servant would be pleased to do it.  Or lo, if thou shouldst
need guinea pigs to test something new on, cheerily do I volunteer my
time and hardward for the task.

     For thine is the OS, the power and glory, ever and ever, amen.

							Steve

PS. I also possess a (Diamond brand) PNP sound card.  Does FreeBSD
pick it up automatically?  It won't detect it up with the snd0
soundblaster devices configured... I was wondering about that too, but
the CD is more important to me, for verily, I cannot install the
awesome Ports collection from Walnut Creeks CD without it easily.