Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 09:12:11 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        ben@rosengart.com
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shouting in a void?

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Snob Art Genre wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Mark Murray wrote:
>
> > With a panic, you also need to supply the stack bactrace,
>
> That would be a lot easier if the kernel would be kind enough to dump
> core.

I was recently helping Julian to debug problems with DEVFS, and nothing
you could do could make the system to dump core. I had to read the
handbook and try to use something called "remote GDB".

Boy, is that fantastic!!! If you have some other machine nearby, and a
null modem cable, pleasy try it - it's extremely helpful, it just allows
you to debug kernel just like any other program, with full source code
display. I'd say, try it even to only gain some experience - you won't
regret it.

And, did I mention that it doesn't require to dump any core? :-)

Andrzej Bialecki

 <abial@nask.pl>       ||PicoBSD||   FreeBSD in your pocket? Go and see:
 Research & Academic   |+-------+|       "Small & Embedded FreeBSD"
 Network in Poland     | |TT~~~| |    http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/