Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 08:04:19 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to keepalive a sick ppp process?

Nate Williams wrote:
> > I am using iijppp (damn fine program!), but every now-and-then it dies
> > on me.
>
> Do you need the on-demand cababilities of ppp, or are you looking for a
> 'full-time' link?  If the latter, you can use pppd to provide the same
> functionality.  We eneded up using pppd vs. ijppp because of the
> occasional instability of the user-level stuff.

I am using the on-demand capabilities to "kick" the line. I am using
el-cheapo 14400 modems on a 2-wire leased line, and the line dies every
now-and-then (there is a Portmaster on the other end). I use the chat
script as a "modem kicker".

I haven't looked at the pppd driver recently. Last time I looked was in
1.1.5.1 days, and I could not get the chat(1) to behave (small lack of
trying here)

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200
Finger mark@grondar.za for PGP key