Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 2003 23:11:13 +0300
From:      "Vitali Malicky" <life@zone3000.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: semaphores

> Hi,
Hi!

>  I was installing perl 5.8 and it would fails. Lost the error message,
sorry.
> However, running a google search on the error message gave only one
> result suggesting that my system was running out of semaphores. So,
> `ipcs` showed that postgresql was using them and so stopping this db
allowed
> perl to be installed.
>
> Now I can run both perl5.8 and postgresql, but, how do I know whether my
> system is low on semaphores, and if so, how do I increase it ?

rebuild the kernel with options like these (take mine for exmaple)

###
options         SYSVSHM                 #SYSV-style shared memory
options         SHMMAXPGS=65535         ### for Oracle...
options         SHMALL=8192
options         SHMMAX="(SHMMAXPGS*PAGE_SIZE+1)"
options         SHMMIN=2
options         SHMMNI=512              ### for Oracle...
options         SHMSEG=512              ### for Oracle...
###
options         SYSVSEM                 #SYSV-style semaphore
options         SEMMAP=512
options         SEMMNI=512      ### for Oracle...
options         SEMUME=512
options         SEMMNS=1024     ### for Oracle...
options         SEMMNU=512
options         SEMMSL=256      ### for Oracle...
options         SEMOPM=256
###
options         SYSVMSG                 #SYSV-style messages.
options         MSGMNB=16384
options         MSGMNI=256
options         MSGSEG=8196
options         MSGSSZ=16