Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 15:24:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Rainer =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frohnh=F6fer?= <rfrohn@ibm.net>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem installing on AlphaStation 400 4/233

Rainer Frohnh=F6fer writes:
 > John Howie wrote:
 >=20
 > > I have a AlphaStation 400 4/233. I upgraded the SRM to v7 (from DE=
C's
 > > Web-site) and tried to install FreeBSD 3.2 Stable using kern.flp a=
nd
 > > mfsroot.flp from the FTP site. Everything seems to load fine but I=

 > > cannot select my console type (I am given four options). It appear=
 > > (if I read the kernel startup configuration information correctly)=

 > > that the kernel is trying to use a serial console for the keyboard=
. I
 > > did (once) receive an error about my PCXAL keyboard and scan code
 > > (0x83, I believe) shortly after the menu was presented to me. The
 > > keyboard works fine in the system boot menus, the boot process (I =
can
 > > interrupt the autoboot and query the console value, which is set t=
 > > prom) and when running Windows NT. Trying to be smart, I hooked up=
 > > laptop running term emulation to the serial port and while I .
 >=20
 > [snip]
 >=20
 > To take the first question further: How do I make FreeBSD take my
 > keyboard input on the console? The "console" is already set correctl=
y,
 > it just doesn't take any input. Kernel parameter?
 >=20
 >  Help!   (I want my Multia do anything useful, besides just warming =
my
 > feet ...)

FreeBSD doesn't currently support the TGA card that's built into a
multia for use as a console.  You'll need to either use a serial
console or put in a vga card for now.  Make sure to say 'set console
serial' at the srm console prompt (>>>).

There is a person who's working on this (TGA support for syscons), but
he's at an internship out of town & doesn't have access to an alpha
until the end of the summer.  So it will be at least a few months
before it works.

Cheers,

Drew
-------
Andrew Gallatin, Sr Systems Programmer=09http://www.cs.duke.edu/~gallat=
in
Duke University=09=09=09=09Email: gallatin@cs.duke.edu
Department of Computer Science=09=09Phone: (919) 660-6590