Date:      Sat, 27 May 2000 16:43:24 -0500
From:      "gh" <grasshacker@linkfast.net>
To:        "Christian Weisgerber" <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Subject:   Re: Why encourage stupid people to use *BSD WAS:Re: IE forFreeBSDPetition

> Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Yes, and I think that these old and very unofficial guidelines still
apply:
> > http://www.welearn.com.au/freebsd/slow/ready.html
>
> In your opinion, is it a part of the exercise that this document
> is in English?

A truly thought-invoking proposition.
As a native English-speaker, I failed even to consider the possibility.

I certainly hope that FreeBSD has the ability to accomodate (more fitting
word?)
users of other languages; however, I believe that we definitely should have
a ``standard language'' if you will, even if not official (Something like
what we have here in the US: most people speak English, but English is not
the or an official language of this country, one language for standard,
system-based communication.
In addition, we should provide documentation in multiple languages for the
same purpose as accepting everybody. As someone said earlier, we should
embrace all.

You bring up one of the more complex and complicated problems facing (I
suppose) all multi-lingual projects. What language should we use or use most
often and thoroughly?

I am interested in hearing other's thoughts on this.

Dan