Date:      Thu, 13 May 1999 14:16:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: cvs commit: src/sys/pci pcisupport.c

On Thu, 13 May 1999, David Schwartz wrote:

> > OK.  Much of what I'm going to say here is pure opinion, understand; I
> > don't hold it forth as fact (like I did the top paragraph).  The
> > situation that I *think* you want, where the users do the controlling,
> > doesn't now and never did exist.  I've worked for enough companies to
> > know that you code for your boss, not the public, and what the boss
> > wants very often has nearly nothing at all to do with that which the
> > public is clamoring for.  There are isolated cases where the connection
> > between want and need is closer, but it's not the rule.
> >
> > My, that sound cynical.
>
> 	No, it sounds silly. In an organized project, someone makes
> the decision about which ideas turn into code and which don't. The
> extent to which that decision is or is not distributed varies.
> Almost always some such capacity remains with the programmers.
>
> 	There are many ways and reasons a project can fail. Code
> dictates that have little to do with 'customer' demand is a common
> one. But it's just as possible to fail because programmers code
> things that customers don't demand.
>
> 	The big issue is, when you are dealing with a non-commercial
> project, what is your definition of 'fail'?

You've had different experience than I.  In the places I worked, the
boss said what to code, not the programmer.

> 	DS

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).