Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 1998 13:55:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange error

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> Matthew N. Dodd wrote...
> > On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> > Oct 14 17:56:23 eisa-test /kernel: (da2:bt0:0:2:0): READ CAPACITY. CDB: 25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> > Oct 14 17:56:23 eisa-test /kernel: (da2:bt0:0:2:0): NOT READY asc:4,2
> > Oct 14 17:56:23 eisa-test /kernel: (da2:bt0:0:2:0): Logical unit not ready, initializing cmd. required
> > Oct 14 17:56:23 eisa-test /kernel: (da2:bt0:0:2:0): fatal error, failed to attach to device(da2:bt0:0:2:0): removing device entry
> >
> > When I boot with media in the drive.
> >
> > Most annoying this behavior.  I'm not sure why it thinks it needs to
> > remove the device entry.
>
> Did the patch I sent fix that problem?

I believe so.  I get a panic every time when the media is in the drive
though. :)  dasendorderedtag or something like that.  I've got problems
with my serial console right now so I can't capture the error.

> Well, I've taken a look through the spec (yes, the whole thing), and I
> didn't really see anything that would indicate what the problem is.

That was my thought as well.  They went a good ways towards documenting
the whole of the SCSI spec in that doc didn't they. :)

> So, I've got a couple of ideas:
>
> 	- Hook it up to an NT box (or some other platform that HP supports)
> 	  and see whether it works.  I know this is distasteful, and you
> 	  might have to install some HP drivers to make it work, but it
> 	  would tell us whether there is a hardware problem or not.

I've got a Win95 box so I'll see if I can get it to work.

> 	- If it works under NT, send me the changer and I'll try to get it
> 	  to work.  We've got SCSI analyzers here and can send bus traces
> 	  to HP if necessary.

This is a rather large unit.  :)  UPS probably won't take it as its around
100 lbs.  I've got 2 of them so I've really got no problems shipping one
to you otherwise.

Let me play with it a bit more and pull one of them apart and see if I can
get it working standalone outside the changer.  It may be that the drive
is just really dirty and needs cleaning.  (sensors obscured etc.) Though
it is rather odd that both units exhibit the same errors.

Where are gyou guys located anyway?

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | 78 280Z | 75 164E | 84 245DL | FreeBSD/NetBSD/Sprite/VMS |
| winter@jurai.net |      This Space For Rent     | ix86,sparc,m68k,pmax,vax  |