Date:      Sat, 13 May 2000 00:06:50 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unknown: <PNP...>

> > It seems Mike Pritchard wrote:
> > > I did notice that I started getting all of the "unknown: <PNPxxxxx>"
> > > messages after the PNPBIOS option became default.  On the
> > > machine I'm typing on this on, I used to see those messages
> > > if I defined PNPBIOS in my config file.  PNPBIOS became default
> > > some time back, with no way (that I saw) to turn it off.
> >
> > You can turn it off in the loader, I have to on my laptop to get it
> > to work proberly...
>
> Would that be in /boot/loader.conf?  I've tried
>
> PNPBIOS="NO"
>
> in /boot/loader.conf, and I'm still getting the messages.
>
> [snip]<dmesg>
> plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0
> unknown: <PNP0401> can't assign resources
> unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources
> unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources
> unknown: <PNP0700> can't assign resources
> </dmesg>

If you're just complaining about the messages, don't do anything.
They'll go away soon, and there are much better things to spend your time
worrying about.

IF and ONLY IF the PNPBIOS code is causing your machine to fail, do the
following:

 - Send me FULL DETAILS; this will need to include the trap messages and,
   if the trap is in the kernel, a DDB traceback.

 - Read the loader's online help for details on disabling use of the PnP
   BIOS.  Note - just turning it off and not letting us fix this is a
   Really Stupid Idea, and I'd hope that you can see why.