Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 1996 10:02:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Paul Danckaert <pauld@umbc.edu>
To:        Mark Newton <newton@communica.com.au>
Cc:        Kristyn Fayette <kristyn@gnu.ai.mit.edu>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & firewalls

On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, Mark Newton wrote:

> Point 2:  Be aware that a single computer doesn't make a very good
>   firewall!  Simply plonking a UNIX box onto the network between you and
>   your ISP is not going to deliver anywhere near what *I* would consider
>   acceptable security (what you would consider acceptable may legitimately
>   differ, though)

I agree that simply dropping a box on the net, running ipfw or whatever
on it, and calling yourself safe isn't completely true, but I'm curious
what you would do to build a safer network?  I would hope that your
external router would do alot of blocks, before data ever makes it to
your firewall box, but what about in some of the hybrid situations that
FreeBSD works well in?  For example, when people drop a T1 card into a
box, a few ethernet cards, and make it their external router itself?

Also, I'm just curious and haven't looked too much into it, but has
anybody used BSD to firewall people within a site?  For example, we are
looking at putting dorms on ethernet, but we are going to block various
protocols, ports, etc..  has anybody used a BSD solution to this sort of
problem?  Any recomendations on software?

paul