Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 2000 22:58:35 -0300
From:      Fred Souza <cseg@kronus.com.br>
To:        Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pine 4.21 port issues?

> Since very little in FreeBSD is ever done without a reason, I'm curious as
> to the reason for this. It seems..wrong to have a port report a vulnerable
> mailbox on a default FreeBSD installation. I would like to apologize for
> the cross-post, but I felt it relevent to both lists. If this is incorrect
> please inform me so that I don't make the same mistake again :)

  I was experiencing that kind of warning when using Pine 4.21 under
  4.0-STABLE, and had to "fix" it with that silly mode-changing thing.  Some
  time after, I decided to uninstall Pine and install Mutt, then returning
  /var/mail to root.mail 0775.  This way, everytime the users were going to
  handle their incoming mail, they got a message "Mailbox is read-only".

  Going again into the silly root.mail 1777 solved the problem, but I
  definately don't like that idea.  Any pointers on how to get rid of that?

Cheers,
Fred N Souza.

--
This is what you get when you meet someone who has spent most of his/her entire
life, thinking.