Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 1998 19:08:13 -0400
From:      Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>, Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: packet writing ( was Re: 3.0-R, CAM, and audio tracks (more info))

On Mon, Oct 19, 1998 at 03:03:44PM -0600, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> Andreas Klemm wrote...
> >
> > BTW, what about "packet writing" ?
> > I really like this feature in Windoof environment.
> > Would there be any possibility to implement this mode
> > and to format/fixate by using a sysctl command or such ?
>
> And this is something that cdrecord won't do?  cdrecord is the only
> supported way of burning CDs under CAM.
>
> I may implement a more generic solution through the CD driver at some
> point, but it probably won't be anytime soon.

cdrecord-1.6 documents an "experimental" packet writing interface. Can
someone clue me in as to what this is and the advantages/drawbacks of it?
All I've heard about it is my cousin's rant about dragging and dropping
to the CD in lose9x <G>

I fail to see a good reason for an OS-specific in-kernel CD-R driver,
when the cdrecord package works on plenty of systems that have SCSI
generic devices (passthrough). Unless I am missing some advantage of
having CD burning code in the kernel, this strikes me as a horrible
duplication of effort. So, what am I missing and why is this a good
idea? :)

--
  / Nathan Dorfman \  / "`IE4 brings the web to UNIX'? *laughing*