Date:      Sat, 3 Feb 1996 14:50:46 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: list of major device numbers?

> > > What are the plans to dynamicalize the assignment of major numbers?  I
>
> > if you specify (-1?) it will dynamically assign you one,
> > but I need to change this so that it statrs at a higher number
> > so as to not collide with devices that already statically
> > have a spot..
>
> So we should reserve the first 20 numbers for fixed ones, and convert
> all but the critical drivers to no longer using a fixed one.  Should
> we?

We should be using vnode struct addresses instead of major/minor
numbers internally to the kernel.

For boot-critical drivers, the correct method is not to assign a
particular lexical offset to the critical drivers (since this
implies a lexically based lookup, and we want to kill that).

Major and minor numbers need to die.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---