Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 1997 14:57:33 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Evan Champion <evanc@synapse.net>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: misc/5054: /tmp not nuked on reboot

On Sat, 15 Nov 1997, Evan Champion wrote:

# On Sat, 15 Nov 1997, Steve Price wrote:
#
# Well, not quite, since that only gets run out of crontab.  Something
# should be run on boot, and it needs to nuke everything (except the
# exclusions mentionned in my original post, ie: quotas and lost+found).
#

<MY_OPINION_ONLY>

I guess that is a matter of preference really.  I personally don't
clear /tmp on any of my machines, preferring to clean them manually.
I keep alot of stuff that I don't want toasted in /tmp and since
power outtages seem to happen frequently around here and I don't have
a UPS (yet) 'cleaning /tmp' is of no use to me.  That doesn't mean
it is not the right thing to do in certain circumstances as I am
sure you can attest.   I would guess that the premise is that having
to reboot a machine is a very infrequent occurrence (at least with
anything not MSoft that is) and doing this as a cron job will allow
the system administrator to choose the frequency with which cleanings
of /tmp occur and not leave it up to fate or some other ill-fated
reason.

</MY_OPINION_ONLY>

Steve

# Evan