Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2001 02:37:43 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Apple]RE: Mundie, Perens, GPL, BSD etc again

At 1:09 PM -0700 6/16/01, Bzdik BSD wrote:

>  Are you still living in 2000?

	Well, if you've got any more numbers, and sources for them, I
would like to see them.  I quoted the only numbers I knew of, and to
make sure that everyone knew I didn't make them up, I quoted my
source.  This is the sort of thing that is done by people who wish to
have an honorable and responsible discussion or debate on a topic.

>                                  When I told you about tax write-offs
>  that are in effect since late XX century, you 'explain' to me what
>  _should_ happen.

	No, I explained the situation as it exists.  You're free to
compare the prices you see on eBay for two year old hardware to the
current prices for new hardware, and see for yourself.

>                               Any PR VP learned about a year ago to
>  exctract 'dot-com' and 'analyst' out of any promo schpiel, Apple hasn't
>  done this with iMac and it's Apple's problem.

	I'm sorry, I don't recall any "dot-com" or "analyst" phrases in
their "promo schpiel".  Could you be so kind as to point out some?

	Myself, I seem to remember things like "Think Different" and
"Rip. Mix. Burn."

>                                                 Do you use iMac? Are you
>  12 y. o.? the fucking baby boomers with their farsightedness can't see
>  anything on the poor quality screens.

	Actually, no.  I am 35 years old, and the screens that Apple uses
are Sony Trinitrons, which are renowned throughout the market for
particular clarity and accuracy.  Indeed, all major prepress shops I
know of use Trinitron screens with expensive color calibrators (such
as the $3,499 Barco Personal Calibrator V, or the LaCie $1,099
electron22blue with the $499 "blue eye" calibrator), or sometimes
they buy third-party calibrators (such as the $399 OptiCal or $224
PhotoCal).

	Of course, Apple can't afford to include something like this in
their iMac bundle, but they do have the revolutionary color
calibration software ColorSync.  Indeed, before Apple introduced
ColorSync, there simply wasn't any way you could ensure that what you
saw on screen was what you would get when you printed the document or
when you took it to a service bureau, at least not on personal
computers.  Color calibration wasn't introduced to the PC until many
years later, and even now it still doesn't begin to approach the
universal support and other capabilities of ColorSync on the
Macintosh.

	Over the years they've done a pretty good job of being able to
profile how a Trinitron screen changes over time, and can generally
do a pretty good job of compensating for those shifts even without an
external calibrator.

	If you want to talk about LCD displays, until very recently there
wasn't any way you could attach any kind of calibrator to an LCD.
However, GretagMacbeth recently came out with a $200 harness you can
use with their $3,750 Spectrolino spectrophotometer (and their $3,500
ProfileMaker software) to characterize the performance of an LCD.  Of
course, the tests I know of that have been run have clearly shown
that LCDs are simply not up to par with even standard CRTs, much less
the expensive professional-grade Trinitron-based calibrated displays.

	If you have any first-hand knowledge of CRTs (or other displays)
that are more preferred by print graphics professionals than
Trinitrons, and can provide references to source material to
substantiate your claims, I really would love to learn about them.
I've been interested in computer graphics, video displays, print
media and the tools they use to produce their products, etc... for
many, many years (at least two decades), and I always enjoy learning
more about the subject.

	For myself, I own a PowerBook G3 "Pismo" laptop (the generation
before the PowerBook G4 and the original iBook), and find that this
machine and the 14-inch LCD screen does just fine as a primary
machine for me, even though I do have poor eyesight (indeed, I've
worn glasses since 6th grade), but then again I am not a graphics
professional and color calibration is not something I particularly
need in my job.

	Oh, and you may find that ad-hominem attacks are a pretty good
way to totally undermine your own arguments, and instead strengthen
the position of the people you are denigrating.

>  So many techies are clueless when it comes to finances, and god saw
>  it's good. they have no clue what financial classes are, what
>  correlation with R/R is, etc.

	I don't pretend that I am an expert on finances, but I have heard
about things like "dollar cost averaging", and when a company comes
out with a laptop that is one of the fastest available *AND* one of
the least expensive on the market, I have a pretty good idea where
money is best spent.

>  keep repeating after Stevie, other repeat after JFC, Shiva, Buddha and
>  Vadimchik Zlotnikov.

	Well, if you want to talk about religions that have lived for
thousands of years, Hinduism and Buddism are two very good examples.
Moreover, they are common religions in the two most populous
countries in the world, each with over a billion people -- between
them, they have about one third of the entire population of the
world.  These religions have been around many years longer than
Western civilization, and there is every indication that they will
outlive Western civilization by thousands of years.

>                        btw, you could look at maccentral.com if you ARE
>  qualified by some authority to talk about this, and see that even they
>  have confused themselves with 'analsts' blabber.

	I am familiar with maccentral.com, as well as many of the other
most popular Apple-oriented web sites.

>                                                    The only difference
>  betwen you and any analyst is how to get there.

	No, you also have to know something about the subject you're
talking about.  The analyst I previously quoted is by no means alone
at being very upbeat about Apple, indeed every one I've read seems to
agree that Apple is likely to sail through the recession relatively
unscathed, what with billions of dollars of cash in the bank, no
debt, and excellent sales prospects in the new PowerBook G4, iBook,
etc....

>                                                   And please don't double
>  post to me and the list.

	Fine.  All I need to know is your preference in this matter.

>                            It's about time for an Architect to learn a
>  few things.

	Right.  And a "yahoo" without a real e-mail address is just the
guy to teach me.  Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

	I've seen you express a lot of emotion and childish petulance
here, but I have yet to see much of anything from you in the way of
hard numbers, real facts, or anything else that would be useful in an
adult conversation.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>          */