Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2001 13:44:23 -0700
From:      Rick <rick@geckobot.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Significant Performance Drop during 4.0-4.3 Upgrade

Hi!

I just upgraded 3 servers from 4.0 to 4.3 FreeBSD using sysinstall, and I
noticed that some rm -r operations seemed a little slow after the upgrade.

Coincidentally I've been working on an ISAM alternative to B-tree so I have a
bunch of performance benchmarks handy.  The results:

Disk hits are *much* slower after the upgrade.  Many times slower, in fact.
I also had Berkley DB benchmarks that I was using for comparison and they too
were heavily impacted.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what the heck happened!  SOFTUPDATES
were off before the upgrade and I didn't change of the disk tuning.  I did
tweak my kernel a bit, but nothing should have had this effect-- I just
removed a few things that weren't being used like EISA and some network
cards.  When I examine dmesg everything still seems to be recognized as ULTRA
DMA, etc.  I've tried putting everything back in my kernel and I've try the
GENERIC kernel with no improvements.

I've looked through the release notes, etc., and couldn't find anythingd
etailing this problem.  Did I miss something?  Am I just extra lucky?

Thanks in advance,
Rick