Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 1996 08:38:01 +1000 (EST)
From:      Richard J Uren <richard@thehub.com.au>
To:        "S(pork)" <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        "Jay L. West" <jlwest@tseinc.com>, questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: internet billing

On Wed, 4 Dec 1996, S(pork) wrote:

> Please,
>
> Stay away from it at all costs if you have already started your
> business...  The billing plans are rather inflexible, it is ungodly slow
> on Win95 (I think they recently came out with a "beta" version), they
> release "bug-fixes" every week or so, and tech support amounted to (and
> I'm not kidding) "Open up About... Help; click on each section and print
> it if you would like a hard copy for your billing personnel to read..."
> These people are scam artists.  The worst part being that it is a simple
> MSAccess runtime, but they "lock" the SQL stuff so that you can't fix
> their mistakes.  We had a heavy-duty SQL guru who knew what was wrong with
> it, but couldn't get in to hack it into submission.  Again, if you've ever
> used Access and thought it slow, you will see worse performance from this
> lame product.  If anyone knows of any other ISP billing programs of merit,
> please post over on freebsd-isp and share your experiences...
>
> Charles

Hey Charles,

You could try Platypus. See :-
	www.boardtown.com

We're just about to start our first montly billing cycle with it (tomorrow).
The people that produce it are friendly & helpful.  Ive never had an
unanswered question longer than 24 hours.

It uses sql server (on NT) & clients on win 95.
I'll update in a month or so after our first cycle is complete if your
interested.

Cheers
Richard