Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 1996 20:28:23 +0000 (GMT)
From:      neil@corpex.com (Neil)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (Questions Freebsd)
Subject:   syslog.conf

Hi,
	I would like a quick bit of help with syslogs.

I have the following set up as /etc/syslog.conf

*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit          /dev/console
*.notice;kern.debug;lpr,auth.info;mail.crit     /var/log/messages
login.*                                         /var/log/logins
popper.*                                        /var/log/pop3
ftpd.*                                          /var/log/ftpd
named.*                                         /var/log/named
mail.info                                       /var/log/maillog
lpr.info                                        /var/log/lpd-errs
cron.*                                          /var/cron/log
*.err                                           root
*.notice;auth.debug                             root
*.alert                                         root
*.emerg                                         *

As you can see I have several entries for various services that I want
separatly logged.

popper named ftpd and login.

As far as I understand (and can glean from man's) this should work, but
suprise suprise doesn't.
Any ideas?

For reference the relevant /etc/inetd.conf has the following.

ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/ftpd       ftpd -l -S
login   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/rlogind    rlogind
pop3    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/popper       popper

Am I just referencing the services wrongly in the /etc/syslog.conf.

	Cheers,
		Neil

--
Neil Fowler Wright			Systems Administrator
Corpex Ltd.				+44 171 242 4555