Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 2014 23:05:25 +0100
From:      Anton Eliasson <devel@antoneliasson.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mounting from zfs:zroot/ROOT/default failed with error 2: unknown file system after upgrade to 10.1-RELEASE

Hi!
After upgrading a server from FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE to 10.1-RELEASE it no
longer starts up. The bootloader shows its usual menu and then proceeds
to load zfs.ko, opensolaris.ko and some third module. Then kernel boots
and continues all the way to mountroot where it fails with the message
"Mounting from zfs:zroot/ROOT/default failed with error 2: unknown file
system." The entire message:
https://cloud.solid.lth.se/public.php?service=files&t=27c15a131ca63b19f619a7ee558fe8d1

Entering zfs:zroot, zfs:zroot/ROOT, zfs:zroot/ROOT/default or
zfs:anythingelse results in the same error.

FreeBSD 10.0 was installed this summer. I believe I used the installer's
guided procedure for installing on a mirrored ZFS root. Each drive has a
GPT table with a 512k freebsd-boot, a freebsd-swap and a freebsd-zfs
partition. No separate /boot.

There is no vfs.root.mountfrom directive in /boot/loader.conf and no /
in /etc/fstab. If I set vfs.root.mountfrom="zfs:zroot" it fails with the
same message but a slightly different path (zfs:zroot).

The motherboard is a Supermicro X9SRH-7TF. I can import and mount the
root filesystem with a FreeBSD live CD without problems.

Some config files pulled from a very similar installation (same server
model, installed at the same time). They should be more or less
identical on the server that won't boot:

/etc/rc.conf:

     hostname="..."
     keymap="swedish.iso.kbd"
     # Use synchronous DHCP; pause boot until DHCP is completed.
     ifconfig_ix0="SYNCDHCP"
     sshd_enable="YES"
     ntpd_enable="YES"
     # Set dumpdev to "AUTO" to enable crash dumps, "NO" to disable
     dumpdev="AUTO"
     zfs_enable="YES"

     # IPFW
     [...]

/boot/loader.conf:

     zfs_load="YES"
     geom_mirror_load="YES"

/etc/fstab:

     fdesc    /dev/fd        fdescfs        rw    0    0
     /dev/mirror/swap none swap sw 0 0

Thanks!

--
Best Regards,