Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 15:04:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern kern_idle.c src/sys/vm vm_meter.c      src/sys/i386/isa ithread.c src/sys/sys proc.h

John Baldwin wrote:
> jhb         2000/09/15 15:00:24 PDT
>
>   Modified files:
>     sys/kern             kern_idle.c
>     sys/vm               vm_meter.c
>     sys/i386/isa         ithread.c
>     sys/sys              proc.h
>   Log:
>   - Add a new process flag P_NOLOAD that marks a process that should be
>     ignored during load average calcuations.
>   - Set this flag for the idle processes and the softinterrupt process.

This should fix the load average calculations with SMPng.  Note that the
load is still going to be higher than it used to.  This is due to the fact
that before SMPng, we did not have a process context for the idle loop.
Thus, when an interrupt occurred during the idle loop, no process was marked
runnable as a result, and that interrupt processing was not taken into
account.  Now when an interrupt occurs, we mark an interrupt thread runnable,
which increases the number of runnable processes that vmmeter finds when it
performs the load average calculations.

--

John Baldwin <jhb@bsdi.com> -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/