Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 09:54:54 +0100
From:      "Julien Pham" <jpham@mis.mc>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FreeBSD versus Linux

So I thank you all that have answered me. But I have replied to them
directly (a mistake, sorry) and so I repost my questions here at work as I
can't connect to my home computer...

First, how do I subscribe the mailing lists ? Is it possible ?

Second, my questions...

I am currently a windows user. I will surely keep windows for games, as
there are only a few games on the unix community. But I want to get rid of
windows for work, and use a unix kind of OS instead. So I wonder whether to
try FreeBSD or Linux.

First, what are the differences between the two OS ? Someone told me FreeBSD
is real Unix, and Linux has nothing to do with Unix. But what does this
means ? About compatibility for example ? I have thought that unix software
can run under linux.

Can I find all kind of apps I can find on linux, on FreeBSD ? Such as office
tools (such as staroffice), network and internet tools, and games ?

Last question : what is the best way to install FreeBSD ? FTP or a CD ? I
have a DSL connection and so I have a free connection to internet. But to be
able to access FTP site I must first configure my internet access. I had
this pb when I tried debian linux : I have installed the base OS with disks
but then I was unable to configure my internet connection : I have not the
tools needed. And what about FreeBSD ? I am in France and as DSL connection
I have ADSL with PPPoE or PPTP.

Thanks.