Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 01:30:52 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>, Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>, Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>, Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall: is it really at the end of its lifecycle?

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Something we also have to stay aware of in this discussion is the fact
> that even if most hackers could give a fig for graphical installers
> and consider them to be an unneeded bit of hand-holding, it would
> still be nice to have a framework which stuff could drop into and be
> accessed via a command line or turbovision type of interface.  We're
> not talking about writing multiple installers for each type of UI,
> after all, since that would be an unreasonable duplication of labor.
> We're talking about one installation/configuration code base which can
> use either X or text mode interfaces at the user's discretion, so
> both "camps" get what they want.

I should perhaps mention here that there are windowing GUIs out there
which are not X11. I know of two: W (almost dead, but quite sufficient),
and Microwindows (very new, still quite limited, but under active
development). Both use either VGA or VESA graphics. Both are very small
(around 100kB).

Andrzej Bialecki

//  <abial@webgiro.com> WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)
// ------ FreeBSD: The Power to Serve. http://www.freebsd.org --------