Date:      Wed, 30 Mar 2011 01:48:20 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jerry <freebsd.user@seibercom.net>
Subject:   Re: Easiest desktop BSD distro
References:  <20110329144527.c009ba8b.jhsu802701@jasonhsu.com> <20318_1301430722_4D9241C2_20318_86_1_D9B37353831173459FDAA836D3B43499BD354C76@WADPMBXV0.waddell.com> <20110329204501.GH2281@libertas.local.camdensoftware.com> <0148AA41-E800-477F-94BF-2D27E864053F@adelaide.edu.au> <20110329212348.GI2281@libertas.local.camdensoftware.com> <20110329213936.GA84631@gizmo.acns.msu.edu> <20110330000007.99a555cf.freebsd@edvax.de> <20110329192319.319dc40f@scorpio>

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 19:23:19 -0400, Jerry <freebsd.user@seibercom.net> wrote:
> Your approach to the problem neglects to factor in each individual's own
> level of expertise and desires.

I can just speak from my individual point of view. I do NOT
claim that my experiences and knowledge are universal. Therefore,
my view is limited, which I honestly can admit.

> Example: there are millions of cars and drivers in the world.

Ah, people LOVE car analogies. :-)

> Now, how
> many of those drivers truly want to do more than drive their vehicle
> from point A to point B unencumbered by the nuances of their vehicle?
> Now, if an individual wants to learn to be a class 1 mechanic, that is
> fine; however, requiring it to just operate a vehicle is absurd.

Let me use your example and make a computer relation projection
into that analogy:

People who want to use a car to get from A to be do not have
to be class 1 mechanics. However, they need to know the rules
of the traffic, all the funny signs and the lights, the round
thing in the middle, the 4 round rubber things, the things
where you press with feet, and that special magic key that
makes the engine start. Denying that those require LEARNING
and PRACTICING is just denying reality.

Example:

Tech: Driver tech support. How may I serve you?

Driver: This my car doesn't start.

T: I see. What is the car's brand name, model, manufacture year?

D: I don't know. I bought it to get to the market, why would I
   give a damn.

T: Alright, alright, relax. Let's try to fix it without this
   information (sigh). Is there any fuel in the tank?

D: Hmm Fuel, you say. How would I know?

T: Look at the control panel. Where does the arrow point, E or F?

D: Where is the control panel?

T: It should be tight behind the steering wheel, if you are
   sitting in the driver's chair.

D: Ah! I see... There are a lot of arrows here, which one should
   I look at?

T: Look at the one which has E or F written near it. There might be
   a gas station drawn near it as well.

D: Ahhh! I see. The arrow points at zero.

T: What do you mean, zero?

D: Yes! Right at zero. And there is also x1000 written near the
   arrow. Is that the model of the car? X-1000?

T: (a deep sigh while rolling his eyes) No, that's not the fuel,
   that's the tachometer. It is supposed to point at zero if the
   car is not started. The fuel indicator is usually to the left
   and smaller that the tachometer, and it should have E written
   upon it, then a semicircle, then F.

D: Ahhh. I see, I see! The arrow is between E and F.

T: Excellent! Then we know at least that you have fuel. Now let's
   check the battery. Do you see the steering wheel?

D: Yeah.

T: Press right in the middle of it.

D: (a loud beep) Hey! Is it supposed to do that?

T: (rolls his eyes) Everything is allright, that's your honk.
   If it works, then the battery is fine. Now let's try to start
   the car.

D: Well, damn, I'm telling you it doesn't start. That s why I'm
   calling, moron.

T: (grits his teeth) Still, let s try again! Press the clutch
   pedal, press the brakes, and turn the key.

D: Hey-hey! From the beginning. Where is this catch pedal?

T: CLUTCH under the steering wheel on the left. Did you find it?

D: Found it.

T: Press it down as far as it goes. Good. Now, do you see two
   pedals under the steering wheel to the right?

D: Yeah.

T: The one on the left is the brake. Press it. Did you?

D: Done.

T: Now turn the key in the ignition.

D: How would I do that, if I have both hands busy?

T: Excuse me?

D: I am pressing with the left hand on the catch, the right hand
   on the brake, how the hell am I supposed to turn the key?

T: (chokes from laughter) Allright, let s try again, but this
   time, press the pedals with your feet.

D: Feet? Is that possible?

T: (still chokes from laughter) Yes, it is.

D: Let's try. Hey, that's much easier! Why didn't you tell me right
   away? ... (some fuss is heard) Allright, I pressed it.

T: Now turn the key in the ignition.

D: Where is the ignition?

T: In the base of the steering wheel, to the right.

D: Hmmm. I have the hole, but there is no key there.

T: Well, put it in.

D: What?

T: (loses his patience) The ignition key!

D: How would I know which one is the ignition key?

T: (grabs his head) It is usually the biggest key in the bunch.

D: The bunch.

T: Yes, where you keep the rest of the keys.

D: Ahhh! Well, I lost it two days ago. So what, I need a key?

T: (throws down the receiver) Beeeeep...

D: Hello???

***
Original source here: http://www.techtales.com/tftechs.php?m=200905#9322
I hope it's okay that I put the full text on-list. I have
added some punctuation.

So you see, even in the "easy world of cars", there definitely
IS something you need to know.

It's the same with computers. No matter what you want to do
with it, there IS something you need to learn, either BEFORE
you use it, or WHILE you're using it. With some simple means,
i. e. using the brain, reading, concluding, understanding,
THINKING, you're fine in this regards - because it's all
what is needed to advance to the required point.

> When I was a kid, I use to tear down motors and rebuild them for
> competition racing. Today, I won't even waste my time changing the oil
> on my own car. I don't have the time to waste and I can easily afford
> to have others who want to do that for a living attend to it.

What you don't invest in time, you often invest in money,
which is basically no problem. The more you are able AND
WILLING to do on your own, maybe there's money to save.
It always depends. I fully agree that just because I
actually CAN do something, there is no requirement to
DO it all the time. Things that I'm UNABLE to do have to
be delegated to somebody who CAN do them. For example,
certain things on my car are usually handed to a mechenic
who can do far better than me, but I won't give him 50 Euro
for exchanging a set of lightbulbs which is a two-minute
work for me. :-)

And finally... Why do so many people think that investing
time in learning is wasted time? There is an example that
I sometimes have to use in order to make customers understand
why my services are "so expensive" (in fact, they are not
expensive, but hey, you know...); I say: "You do NOT pay
me for the 30 seconds fixing your problem that would cost
you 10,000 Euro per hour if not fixed. You pay me because
I am ABLE to fix your problem that fast. I am able to do
so simply because of one thing: I wasted my youth, my health,
and all my life LEARNING the simple and the less simple
things that YOU, Sir, intendedly refused to learn." Some-
times, people have to pay be the "big bucks" for reading
an instruction page to them, or simply to press the "press
here in case of error" marked button in case of an error.
I'm lucky, not ALL customers are that... well... how would
you say? Less interested in wasting time learning the few
really simple things? :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany