Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2000 13:50:45 -0600 (CST)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
To:        John Woodruff <jjw@us.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Amanda [was: Arkeia Server under FreeBSD]

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, John Woodruff wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Mitch Collinsworth wrote:
> > I haven't looked at it closely but I think IBM's ADSM does most or all
> > of this.  Of course it's aimed at the enterprise.
>
> Had it at my last gig.  Absolutely cool, best thing I'd ever seen.
> Of course, that was on all AIX and WindozeNT boxen.  IBM is singing
> a Linux song, hence the Linux ADSM port.  Unfortunately, since *BSD
> has no TokenRing drivers AFAIK, it's hard to find on an IBM campus.

IBM had the Linux client very early; well before their very visible shift
toward Linux. They also had an MQSeries client for Linux a year or two
ago. Those of us who noticed, were amazed and thought it was a 'just to
prove we could connect to it' thing on their part.

How I *wish* there was something like MQSeries in OpenSource form. It
completely rocks on numerous platforms and connects all of them very well.
If you have used DEC MessageQueues, you have the idea... - Jy@