Date:      Sun, 22 Mar 1998 17:01:46 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        BJ Bell <brian@centrisys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: redundancy

On Sat, Mar 21, 1998 at 08:38:47PM -0600, BJ Bell wrote:
> Hey,
>
> 	After replying to like message 5 of 26 from this list i read the
> rest of the messages and realized there are like 6 other replys to the
> rendering stuff..sorry for the redundancy.

Don't worry I didn't even notice, and we're all used to being redundant :-)

> However, I was serious about the documentation project, I think the fbsd
> doc project could use a lot.

How much do you already know about the documentation project? A few weeks
ago some of the guys working on the documentation project were saying things
like what you're saying now. Have you spoken to any of them?

I've asked for someone to come and explain to us what they do, in simple
words, so we can all understand. They have to write everything in some
special kind of SGML so that they can get output in different formats, like
HTML, PDF, DOS text, etc etc. Then everyone can read it even if they're
still running windoze. Some people are just writing the words, and if it's
good they can ask someone to put it in the correct format and make it
official. I think that's how it works, but I want to check.

> if more documentation exists to help newbies get started then who knows
> what can happen.

We all know what can happen. There's just not enough people making it
happen.

> Any extremely compitant freebsd hacker out there want to write some good
> documentation?

There's lots of them, and they are already writing it. There's good hackers,
good writers, and people who try to make sure that newbies can understand
everything when it's done. They're all working together on this to make sure
it's good. But I don't know how they could tell if it's good for us.

> I'll help out where I can.

Is anyone else interested in helping too?

I think there's a few people already in the documentation project who are
looking for someone to read their stuff to make sure it makes sense right
now, but they haven't had many volunteers.

They're starting a big effort to work on the Handbook and FAQ to make them
easier to use, and there's a few other things being written so that newbies
can understand them. One of the guys is organising people to help make sure
the text files on the CD and FTP site (README and so on) are correct and
make sense. There might be a lot of stuff happening we don't know about.

How do you think we should tackle this?

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-