Date:      Sun, 19 Aug 2001 00:30:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Code Red is from default setup

My friends who have to deal with M$ server things tell me that the default
setup for Win2k server is that the IIS server is installed.

This means that a clueless person installing Win2k server is probably
not going to uncheck the little box that says to install it. So, there
is this lovely little IIS server sitting there just waiting to be
infrected by Code Red.

I have tried doing an HTTP connect to perhaps 20 IP addresses collected
from "Code Red" attempts on my web server and they *all* report "This page
under construction". I believe these are web servers that are running
unknown to their owners.

If this is the case, then they are *not* going to patch their IIS servers
because they probably don't know they have them, and this silliness is
going to keep right on going 8-(.

One downside of this is that ISPs are starting to block port 80 in an
attempt to kill the bug and those of us who have had the ability to
run web service on our home DSL or cable services are probably going to
lose that ability.

Thanks, Bill....

-Jim Durham