Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 2013 16:43:43 +0000
From:      "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        "Sam Fourman Jr." <sfourman@gmail.com>
Cc:        Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Make Release

On Aug 1, 2013, at 9:14 AM, Sam Fourman Jr. wrote:

> one specific question I have, that I can't find in the handbook...
> To make a FreeBSD release, that is to build the install images... you bui=
ld
> world, and kernel.. then go to /etc/src/release and type make release...
> after this, the release images show up in /usr/obj/usr/src/release
>=20
> What I WANT to know.. is what shell script  or file can I edit, to modify
> the install image BEFORE its created... for example say I wanted to add a
> line to /etc/rc.conf on the memstick.img file that gets created
>=20
> I understand that there may be better ways to accomplish this, but editing
> /etc/rc.conf is ONLY a example, im trying to find a simple way to create a
> "slightly" modified install media for my own internal purposes...
> eg: ssh enabled and the ethernet card set to DHCP, so I can remote
> install... I am aware of mfsBSD, as well as DruidBSD, however i'm looking
> for something simple that I can script.
> any help or thoughts is appreciated

I'm hoping that my very open development documentation on customizing the r=
elease(7) process for producing DruidBSD releases can help you out here.

I've documented much of the internals of the release(7) process (albeit, re=
levant to the RELENG_8 release(7) Makefile; in RELENG_9 it's still relevant=
 to /usr/src/release/Makefile.sysinstall ... but I gather that much of the =
knobs may still exist in HEAD).

Have a read through this revision-controlled text file...

http://druidbsd.cvs.sf.net/viewvc/druidbsd/druidbsd/druid/dep/freebsd/patch=
es/README?revision=3D1.2&view=3Dmarkup

ALSO NOTE: Yes, the file is dated... it talks about cvsup instead of svn. M=
y hope is that the doco can be a good starting point (even if the data is a=
 bit dated).

In there, you'll find things like (relevant to RELENG_9):

make -f Makefile.sysinstall release \
                MAKE=3D"/usr/bin/env CFLAGS=3D-DDRUID make" \
                CHROOTDIR=3D/usr/release EXTSRCDIR=3D/usr/src KERNELS_BASE=
=3D \
                NODOC=3DYES NO_FLOPPIES=3DYES NOCDROM=3DYES NOPORTS=3DYES \
                WORLD_FLAGS=3D-DWITHOUT_OPENSSL PATCH_FLAGS=3D-N \
                LOCAL_PATCHES=3D/tmp/druid.patches \
                LOCAL_SCRIPT=3D/tmp/local_script.sh |& tee release.log

Take special note of the "LOCAL_SCRIPT=3D" option.

Maybe, just maybe, the bsdinstall-specific release(7) process supports LOCA=
L_SCRIPT too. If it doesn't... why not?
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.