Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:17:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
To:        Rod Person <roddierod@hotpop.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [OT] Help I've just been Given an Ultra Sparc II

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Rod Person wrote:

> Well I recently (within the last 5 minutes) have been given an Ultra Sparc
> II machine. No one knows what is on. I just need a little help deciding
> what to run on it. I'm downloading Sparc 9 since it's free. But I
> was  wondering if anyone had in suggestion as to NetBSD or OpenBSD or even
> a Linux that might be a better choice for it!

I always feel it's swimming upstream to run anything but Solaris/SunOS on
a Sun box.  You *can*, don't get me wrong, but it's kind of like teaching
a Lab not to retrieve.  Everything you look for, use, compile, etc. will
have assumed that you are running Solaris.

If you're prepared for that, you certainly can run Linux or *BSD on it if
you prefer to maintain the mindshare.  Solaris is a little top-heavy on a
slow box because it carries all the SMP/NIS/etc. stuff along with it; but
I actually ran Sol8 on a Sparcstation LX with excellent performance once
it was stripped down.

www.sunhelp.org is an excellent resource, btw.

KeS