Date:      Fri, 09 Jun 2000 13:09:09 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        "Carroll Kong" <damascus@eden.rutgers.edu>, "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3.4-release box stalling out

On Fri, 09 Jun 2000 22:58:03 -0500, Carroll Kong wrote:

>Those were the most notable kernel configuration options.  The rest was
>default.  Slow degradation of TCP/IP socket opening requests.  I.e.  Takes
>a long time to ssh in.

did you try connecting in any other way besides ssh? (i.e. ftp
or NFS mount)
Are you physically by the box? If so do you have any problems
connecting that way or while you are in?

From the your initial report it seems that it may not be an
external issue (i.e. attack or bandwith problem) so I think the
next is to try to check if the problem is with the whole box, a
particular process (i.e ssh), or connectivity to the box.

I many times have had problems with SSH where I have had to
re-start it because of memory allocation problems.

Also, did this problems started happening after a buildworld or
new kernel?