Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 09:31:43 -0700
From:      Eric Hedstrom <erich@peregrine.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   linux X library breakage?

Perhaps this would be better suited to -emulation or -ports, but I'll try
here first.

I connect to my FreeBSD system using an X emulator on a Windows box which
rexec's an xterm. Since I upgraded from 3.2-Stable to 3.3-RC I am no longer
able to launch an Acrobat reader (by typing "acroread &" at a prompt, or from
Netscape). Instead, I get this error message:

_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't get address for sys403.peregrine.com
Error: Can't open display: sys403.peregrine.com:0.0

FreeBSD binaries (xterm, Netscape, cvsup) work ok. Both Acrobat 3.02 and 4.0
give the above error. This leads me to believe it's somehow related to Linux
emulation...

My system is currently:
FreeBSD gluttony.peregrine.com 3.3-RC FreeBSD 3.3-RC #4: Thu Sep 16 16:22:20
PDT 1999     erich@gluttony.peregrine.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GLUTTONY  i386

My XFree86 is 3.3.3.1, and I have linux_base-5.2 installed.

Any clues?

thanks,
Eric Hedstrom
erich@peregrine.com