Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 2004 09:41:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG (Bill Paul)
To:        av730@osfn.org (Cretog Vesuvius)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ICS PHY driver?

> Hello,
> I was wondering if there are any plans to add the mii/icsphy
> driver to FreeBSD. My motherboard has a builtin ICS1893
> and i'd like to use it, rather than this PCI card that's giving
> me a lot of trouble. The driver seems to exist in NetBSD and
> OpenBSD. Thanks!

You have come to the erroneous conclusion that a PHY chip is
equivalent to an ethernet card. The PHY is just one component.
The important part is the MAC chip. However you have failed to
tell us just what motherboard you have, so lacking further
information, there's no way anyone can help you.

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (510) 749-2329 | Senior Engineer, Master of Unix-Fu
                 wpaul@windriver.com | Wind River Systems
              <adamw> you're just BEGGING to face the moose