Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 00:50:51 EDT
From:      BRIskater@aol.com
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, BRIskater@aol.com
Subject:   Installation Hell...

(I think this will provide some clue on what people have trouble with while
installing FreeBSD)

First let me tell you a little bit about my computer.  It is a Dell 300Mhz
64mb of ram US Robotics modem, 1 6.1 GB hard driver, etc.  The standard
computer that Dell sold about a year ago.  Right now I have partitioned off my
computer with Partition Magic into four partitions.  The Boot Manager, two
primary Win95 partitions, one mine and one my parents, and one extended
partition containing a backup Win95 and a shared partition which is called D:
in my partition and I think that's what it is in my parents.

	What I want to do is install FreeBSD and what I've gathered from your page is
that I need to go to ftp://current.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ and download
something from there.  What I don't know so I was wondering if you could help
me on that one too.  Do I need to download all of the directory "current" or
"3.0-19980825-SNAP"? And from there I've gathered that you put whatever it is
you download into the c:/FreeBSD/(On my partition).  Then you get the
fdimage.exe and boot.flp and make a boot disk (which I've done already you
explained that part very well) when I put the boot disk in I chose novice
setup.  Once I got to the part where it asks you about your hardware I was
getting confused and I just guess what the things where, such as for input I
put "Microsoft Bus Mouse" or something of the sorts.  Put that's not the part
that scarred me.  When I got to the part that wanted me to select a partition
and make it active I started wondering.  If I make the FreeBSD partition the
active one then Boot Manager will not come up.  The only way I can think of to
get the Boot Manager back up is put in the Partition Magic Rescue floppy in
and then select the Boot Manager as the active partition.  Please help me.  I
hope this e-mail has also explained to you what some of use non assembly code
programmers have trouble with.  I thought I was good with computers, I know
some C++ and Java and Perl, but installing FreeBSD WOW!!!! now that's hard
stuff!!!!