Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 2004 21:29:40 -0700
From:      Martin Paredes <mapsware@prodigy.net.mx>
To:        Jay O'Brien <jayobrien@att.net>, FreeBSD - questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to print to hp JetDirect/LaserJet 1300 Network printer?

On Saturday 30 October 2004 12:56, Jay O'Brien wrote:
> I'm a new user of 4.10. I want to print to my hp 1300 LaserJet,
> which has a JetDirect network server and is connected to my LAN.
>
> The printer is assigned the fixed IP 192.168.1.40. I can ping
> that address from my FreeBSD computer.

make an entry in their /etc/printcap files with the following:

1.- Name the entry anything you want. For simplicity, though, you probably
want to use the same name and aliases as on the printer host.

2.- Leave the lp capability blank, explicitly (:lp=:).

3.- Make a spooling directory and specify its location in the sd capability.
LPD will store jobs here before they get sent to the printer host.

4.- Place the ip of the jetdirect in the rm capability.

5.- Place the string "raw" or "text" in the rp capability.

Tip: If you are using a Hewlett Packard Laserjet then the printer name rp=text
will automatically perform the LF to CRLF conversion for you.

maps