Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 1996 19:08:26 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Matrox Meteor  and PPRO problem found

> >We anticipate making additional data and information available in the
> >near future.
>

> Intel and Matrox have jointly confirmed the cause of the recently reported
> issue between the Matrox Meteor graphics adapter board and the Intel 440FX
> chipset.   The root cause is an illegal PCI signal generated by the PCI
> interface chip on the adapter board.  This is not an Intel Pentium(R) Pro
> processor or an Intel 440FX chipset issue.
>
> For further information on this issue or Matrox products, please contact
> your local Matrox sales representative, Matrox office or Matrox headquarters.
>
> Bob Cline
> Intel Corporation
>
> ----------
>
> The question now is when is Matrox, OmniMedia or  Philips going to fix
> the problem. For that I don't have an answer except to just wait because
> I know both Matrox and OmniMedia are working on a solution to the problem.

I guess we just have to wait for more details and hope that a software
workaround can be implemented. We are stuck with our hardware, and Matrox,
OmniMedia or  Philips don't ship FreeBSD drivers :(

On the subject of frame grabbers: does anyone have experience with
a video acquisition board made by Winnov (http://www.winnov.com/) ?

Would someone like to ask them about the availability of details
that enable us to write a driver ? I have contacted them on this
subject about 1 month ago and they said they are "evaluating my
request" (forget the exact wording, the bottom line is that this
question has remained unanswered, although I have to say they have
been reasonably fast to respond to other questions). Maybe a bit of
pressure would help.

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/