Date:      Mon, 9 Aug 2004 18:01:37 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        FreeBSD - questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   vinum does not remember config across boots

Mentioned in the past week or so that I have two 160G SATA drives with
one slice each, each slice has 1G reserved (not currently used) for
swap, the remainder s1d is for vinum. The two are striped with "vinum
stripe -v /dev/ad4s1d /dev/ad6s1d".

At boot vinum often does not remember these drives should be striped.
Booting (usually, but not always as sometimes vinum works) drops me
into single user where I have to manually run the above vinum command
again which finally creates /dev/vinum/vinum0. At that point my fs will
mount cleanly. I don't believe the config is being written to the disks
and not sure that I'm not the one doing something wrong:

dkelly@Opus [72] uname -a
FreeBSD Opus.home 5.2.1-RELEASE-p9 FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p9 #1: Mon Aug
  9 14:42:06 CDT 2004     dkelly@Opus.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/OPUS
i386
dkelly@Opus [73] vinum list
2 drives:
D vinumdrive1           State: up       /dev/ad6s1d     A: 0/156041 MB
(0%)
D vinumdrive0           State: up       /dev/ad4s1d     A: 0/156041 MB
(0%)

1 volumes:
V vinum0                State: up       Plexes:       1 Size:
304 GB

1 plexes:
P vinum0.p0           S State: up       Subdisks:     2 Size:
304 GB

2 subdisks:
S vinum0.p0.s0          State: up       D: vinumdrive0  Size:
152 GB
S vinum0.p0.s1          State: up       D: vinumdrive1  Size:
152 GB
dkelly@Opus [74] vinum saveconfig
dkelly@Opus [75] vinum setdaemon
Options mask: 0
dkelly@Opus [76] vinum dumpconfig
dkelly@Opus [77]

If I'm not mistaken "dumpconfig" should have produced results similar
to "list" but while "list" displays running information from kernel
space, "dumpconfig" should go direct to the media for its answer? And
dumpconfig is finding nothing?

Have tried putting vinum_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf in addition to
start_vinum="YES" in /etc/rc.conf. Vinum_load only seems to cause the
rc scripts to say, "vinum already loaded" or similar.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net