Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 2014 11:08:13 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, Joel Dahl <joel@vnode.se>
Subject:   Re: I'd like to axe some drivers

On Thursday, November 20, 2014 11:15:26 PM Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2014, at 23:02, Joel Dahl <joel@vnode.se> wrote:
>=20
> > On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 02:07:52PM -0800, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> >> John Baldwin wrote this message on Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 16:31 -050=
0:
> >> I'm fine w/ removing these...  Should we do some house cleaning on=

> >> amd64's GENERIC too?
> >>=20
> >> amd64's GENERIC has a lot of ISA or 100Mbit ethernet cards that ar=
> >> clearly not going to be used on these machines...
> >>=20
> >> My recommended list to remove:
> >> ae, bfe, dc, fxp, hme?, pcn, rl, tx, vr, wb, xl, cs, ed, ex, ep, f=
e,
> >> sn, xe
> >=20
> > I have amd64 machines with dc, fxp, pcn, rl and xl cards, so please=
 don't remove
> > these from GENERIC. I think I have bfe, vr and ed cards as well, bu=
t I have to
> > check if they're in i386 or amd64 machines.
>=20
> Hi jhb/jmg,
> =09I realize it=E2=80=99s not canonical/complete, but have you checke=
d into BSDStats yet http://bsdstats.org/bt/devices/class/02/subclass/00=
.html ?
> Thanks!

This only counts PCI devices, so it won't find the majority of the driv=
ers
I listed since those are all ISA.  The exceptions are asr(4) and si(4) =
which
do support PCI.  si(4) does not show up there at all.  There is one asr=
(4)
card found, though that site doesn't lend itself to tell you anything u=
seful
such as which OS's or versions it is used on, so it could be something
running 4.x for all I know.

--=20
John Baldwin