Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 23:12:45 +1000
From:      "J.'LoneWolf' Mattsson" <lonewolf@earthmagic.org>
To:        Russell Rice <the-mole@attbi.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: setrootbyname error upon install/upgrade

At 08:43 27/09/2002 -0400, Russell Rice wrote:
>In trying to find 'ad?' in the boot log, I can't.  But 'ata?' is found in
>two locations:
>
>Firstly:
>atapci0: <RZ 100? ATA controller !WARNING! buggy chip data loss possible>
>port 0x3f4-0x3f7, 0x1f0-0xif7 at device 1.0 on pci0
>atapci0: Busmastering DMA not supported
>atapci0: Busmastering DMA disabled
>ata2: at 0x1f0 on atapci0
>ata2: unable to allocate interrupt
>device_probe_and_attach: ata2 attach returned 6
>
>and secondly:
>ata1: at port 0x170-0x177,0x376 irq 15 on isa0

It looks like it doesn't find the first ide channel for some reason. (And
it doesn't seem to think too highly of your controller either!) Actually,
looking at the I/O range, it seems like it confuses the primary channel
with the first channel on a secondary controller??
Comparing to a typical (i.e. my) output, you should see:

atapci0: <SiS 5591 ATA100 controller> port 0xff00-0xff0f at device 2.5 on pci0
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0  <=======
ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
ad0: 16124MB <IBM-DTTA-351680> [32760/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA33
acd0: CDROM <Pioneer CD-ROM ATAPI Model DR-A24X 0101> at ata1-master BIOSPIO

I really don't know any good tricks to get you up and running (other than
the non-helpful "get a better controller"). Maybe Soren could shed some
light on this?

Looking at the source it appears as though ATA_MASTER(dev) in
ata_pci_add_child() isn't returning true as would be expected, and it
therefore attempts to prod ata2 instead.

Wild shot, have you tried coldbooting it? Perhaps it gets stuck in some
funny state when doing a warm boot? I can't think of any good reason why it
would work from the boot disk but not afterward... unless perhaps there is
a timing issue involved, i.e. the drive doesn't become available in time or
something equally silly. Maybe some knobs in your BIOS you can tweak to
check that?
Sorry for not being of more help on this one, but I can't say I've come
across anything like this before!

/Johny

            Johny Mattsson                  / \__/\
        lonewolf@earthmagic.org           /'     , :
       http://www.earthmagic.org         ;   ( o   o
    irc.sorcery.net:9000 as LoneWolf     /   ,   ~. \
Software Developer / Support Engineer  / (  `- ..__"