Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 1997 11:45:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 100bt switches and hubs

On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Ron G. Minnich wrote:

> I'm looking for recommendations on 24-port 100bt hubs, and switches. Of
> course, they should be as close to free as possible. I'm currently
> looking at some asante hubs for $800? any opinions here? I need to wire
> up 64 machines. If I could do all switched that's the best.

  Well personally, I'd never use a 100bt hub, ever.  A 24 port 10bt switch
has much higher aggregate bandwith than a 100bt hub.  The Cisco Catalyst
1900 is nice, and has 2 100bt ports for connection to the backbone.  The
maximum aggregate bandwidth of the Catalyst 1900 is 440mbs, while a 100bt
hub is just 100mbs.

> ron
>
> Ron Minnich                |Java: an operating-system-independent,
> rminnich@sarnoff.com       |architecture-independent programming language
> (609)-734-3120             |for Windows/95 and Windows/NT on the Pentium
> ftp://ftp.sarnoff.com/pub/mnfs/www/docs/cluster.html

Tom