Date:      Tue, 1 May 2001 15:03:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "F. Johan Beisser" <johan.beisser@caustic.org>
To:        Willem van Engen <wvengen@stack.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI support, FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE, and other wonkyness.

On Tue, 1 May 2001, Willem van Engen wrote:

> "F. Johan Beisser" wrote:
> >
> > I am having some minor problems with my Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600, and
> > FreeBSD 4.3.
> >
> > i've attached the output from "boot -v" of the current kernel, which is
> > essentially the GENERIC kernel with USB devices commented out (USB was
> > sharing IRQ 11 with many other PCI devices).
> It's not quite clear to me what your problems are. Your output shows
> several messages containing "failed", but that's because the kernel
> looks for devices you don't have.

in a few cases, it seems that things should work fine, but i end up with
device timeouts. the internal fxp0 device, for example, will work fine for
a few hours, and then fail with timeout errors. the cable, at least,
checks out fine. under win2k, the device has no problems that i can
see/experience. (to recover, by the way, i have to reboot. nothing else
seems to get the NIC back).

> BTW, my experience with those irq-sharing is that it doesn't always
> cause
> problems. I'm currently having this on my laptop:
>   pci1: <ATI Mobility-1 graphics accelerator> at 0.0 irq 9
>   pci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> at 7.2 irq 9
>   intpm0: <Intel 82371AB Power management controller> port 0xff80-0xff8f
>           irq 9 at device 7.3 on pci0
>   pcm0: <Yamaha DS-1E (YMF744)> port 0xf08c-0xf08f,0xf0c0-0xf0ff mem
>         0xfedf8000-0xfedfffff irq 9 at device 13.0 on pci0
>   pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x11c1, dev=0x044a) at 16.0 irq 9
>   pcic-pci0: <TI PCI-1225 PCI-CardBus Bridge> irq 9 at device 19.0 on
> pci0
>   pcic-pci1: <TI PCI-1225 PCI-CardBus Bridge> irq 9 at device 19.1 on
> pci0

hmm. perhaps i'm missing something in the kernel. i've got a machine at
home, though, that as soon as 4.2 rolled in to 4.3-RC1 had problems
sharing the irq between the audio device and the video card.

looking through the changelogs, i wasn't able to dig up anything relating
to changes in the sound system (well, except for the modules, i guess).

as long as X windows is not running, audio is fine. this leads me to think
that something changed in how FreeBSD is handling interrupts, or something
similar. it also makes me concider rolling back to 4.0, and seeing if i
can find the exact version where the problem starts.

> As you see, they're all using irq 9. I'm using pci1,intpm0,pcm0 and
> pcic-pci0
> and experience no problems. But I don't know why it works...

heh, i can't tell you why it now doesn't work :)

> > The partial issue, seems to be a lack of ACPI support in freebsd, and
> > perhaps more than a few things related to the Toshiba BIOS.
> If you want ACPI support, you should use 5.0-current instead of 4.3
> (see http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/current-stable.html). But it
> doesn't
> always work properly/immediately. If you decide to use acpi, you might
> be interested in subscribing to the mailinglist acpi-jp@jp.freebsd.org.

i'll take a look at both. i'd would rather not play around with -current,
since my experiences with it haven't been very favourable, and i'd need to
find a point where it's not only bootable, but stable enough to use on a
daily basis.

thanks for the tips,

-- johan

 Web: http://caustic.org/~jan email: johan.beisser@caustic.org
   "knowledge is power, power corrupts. study hard, be evil"