Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 12:45:50 +0100
From:      Guilhem Ensuque <guilhem.ensuque@bt-sys.bt.co.uk>
To:        "'freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   [BSD-hackers] ioctl options for networking ?

Hi all

i am desperately looking for  the SIOCSARP, SIOCGARP and SIOCDARP ioctl
options but I can't find them in the file sockio.h.

I am using 2.2.6 and the CD says it is based on Berkeley 4.4 BSD and in
W R Stevens book on Unix network Programming (p.323) it says that these
ioctl options are in 4.3 BSD.

So my question is : where are they in FreeBSD 2.2.6 ??

A Linux bloke also told me that in Linux they now have changed the way to do
system calls to the arp table (no more ioctl). It has to do with something
called netlink (?)

Has FreeBSD preceded Linux on that ?

Thanks for any help

Guilhem Ensuque

Mobility Research Unit		guilhem.ensuque@bt-sys.bt.co.uk
B55-131B
BT Laboratories
Martlesham Heath		tel : +44 1473 645 232
IPSWICH IP5 3RE (UK)		fax : +44 1473 646 885