Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 10:39:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
To:        Thomas Dixon <thomas@vbc.net>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with booting of CD-ROM (fwd)

Thomas Dixon writes:

| On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, John Baldwin wrote:
|

| > On 16-Oct-01 Thomas Dixon wrote:
| > > I'm trying to make a bootable CD using the cdboot program that come with
| > > freeBSD in /sys/i386/boot/cdboot.  The computer I'm trying to do this on
| > > definately boots other CDs as it has booted several other CDs.  However
| > > using a CD I've made using mkisofs and cdboot it gives the error;
| > >
| > >       Your BIOS int 0x13 extensions seem to be disabled.
| > >       It's impossible to boot a CD-ROM without them.
| > >       (BIOS int 0x13 fn 0x4b01 yielded error 1)
| > >
| > > I'm using an Asus P5A motherboard, there appears to be no way to enable
| > > the int 0x13 extensions in the BIOS and there is nothing in the manual
| > > that refers to these.
| > >
| > > Any ideas why this error is coming up or how to fix it?
| >
| > Don't use cdboot or cdldr, they don't qutie work yet. :(
| >
| > Instead, make a floppy image and use that to boot.
| >
| I've tried this and I couldn't figure out the syntax for loader.rc to load
| the file system from the cd-rom, any ideas?

I'd skip the MFS step and just put the kernel on the boot floppy with
loader and friends.  Then in
	/boot/loader.rc
add:
	boot -C
So it looks something like:
  \ Loader.rc
  \ $FreeBSD: src/sys/boot/forth/loader.rc,v 1.2 1999/11/24 17:59:37 dcs Exp $
  \
  \ Includes additional commands
  include /boot/loader.4th

  \ Reads and processes loader.rc
  start

  \ Tests for password -- executes autoboot first if a password was defined
  check-password

  \ Unless set otherwise, autoboot is automatic at this point

  boot -C

Atleast this works for me even on IBM machine as of 4.4-Release!  If
you run out of room for your kernel (even if you gzip it) you can kldload
modules off the CD during startup.

Doug A.