Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 11:14:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        kpneal@pobox.com
Subject:   Token Ring

> At Tue, 24 Feb 1998 21:50:46 -0500 "Kevin P. Neal" <kpneal@pobox.com>
> wrote :

> >I sure wish someone would tell IBM!  :-)  IBM (and perhaps some
> >others--I don't quite recall) are now talking about 100 Mb/sec Token
> >Ring.
>
> Not surprising, considering IBM.
>
> IBM (or at least IBM in RTP, NC) has a _huge_ Token Ring network. We're
> talking networks of networks of Token Ring. Literally, there several
> thousand people sitting on the Token Ring networks inside IBM.
>
> Token Ring isn't quite dead yet, not as long as IBM is still kicking.
> - --
> XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Junior, Comp. Sci.     -   House of Retrocomputing

Which is why I ran Linux while inside IBM and FreeBSD elsewhere.
Token Ring is needed for many environments.  Johnson & Johnson's running
Token Ring, most mainframe shops with IBM are Token Ring, just as most
DEC and other mini shops went ethernet.

I think FreeBSD should consider expanding its support in this area.
FreeBSD should look at itself as a great legacy gateway.

Unfortunately, Caldera's now successfully selling Linux to this market (it
was their main pitch at Unix Expo this year) and IBM's done ok with OS/2 and
AIX in it as well.

I know Token Ring's not as sexy as gigabit ethernet -- but there's a ton
out there.  I can see not supporting Microchannel -- it's dead now.
Hoever, 16Mb Token Ring and Switched Token Ring are out there kicking.

Bill