Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 20:39:30 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How do you recognise 2nd IDE master disk?

I added a second IDE disk to a 4.1-R box, using its secondary IDE
channel, with the disk jumpered as a master (as per instructions
from various sources).  I rebuilt the kernel with the following:

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device          ata0    at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
device          ata1    at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
device          ata
device          atadisk                 # ATA disk drives
device          atapicd                 # ATAPI CDROM drives
#device         atapifd                 # ATAPI floppy drives
#device         atapist                 # ATAPI tape drives
options         ATA_STATIC_ID           #Static device numbering
#options        ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA    #Enable DMA on ATAPI devices

(I had previously left the "device ata1" line commented out when
there was one disk plus the CDROM.)

But I seem to have done something wrong, as only the original
disk and CDROM are seen on boot.

Can somebody please tell me the magic to get the second disk
recognised?

Thanks in advance.