Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2001 09:35:22 -0500
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HTTP, FTP not working

> My FreeBSD installation has a strange (at least I think that it is
> strange) problem. FTP and HTTP (and possibly other internet
> services) do not work...  Any FTP or HTTP requests, such as using
> Lynx or downloading something for ports, does nothing. No error
> other than taking a while and timing out (Ports downloads sometimes
> say that he remote file does not exist, which is incorrect) CVSUP
> and ping seem to work fine.

To diagnose this, list readers need a more coherent test.  In other
words, pick a host outside your network with HTTP service that you
know is up (WWW.SLB.TO, 128.248.230.104, for example).  Try
'traceroute -n', 'ping', and 'lynx' using the IP address only.  Then
try the same things using the machine name instead.  Maybe try the
same thing with FTP (but make sure your client uses passive mode,
particularly if your network is NAT'ed).  If anything fails, report
the *exact* commands you used and the *exact* error messages.

Lucas