Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2008 13:31:05 +0100
From:      Borja Marcos <BORJAMAR@SARENET.ES>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   MAC subsystem problem (FreeBSD 7)

Hello,

I'm trying to set up a DNS server under FreeBSD using the mac_biba
policy. I use to run
bind in low-integrity mode, so that neither it or any of its
descendants can modify
configuration files, etc.

With previous FreeBSD versions there was a handy sysctl setting,
"security.mac.enforce_socket"
that allowed to bypass the MAC restrictions for a socket. I think it's
not a bad idea.
After all machines can communicate with untrusted nodes over a
network. In my opinion,
enforcing the mac_biba restrictions so that a network communication
with a local process
behaves _differently_ than a network communication with a different
node is a bad idea.

Any reason why this setting has been eliminated? I think that the best
solution is to
keep it and let the administrator decide.

Best regards,

Borja.