Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 20:36:20 +0000
From:      Niall Smart <rotel@indigo.ie>
To:        geoffr@globalserve.net, Dima Dorfman <webmaster@zwb.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAM Drive

On Apr 13,  3:02pm, Geoffrey Robinson wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion but that wouldn't help much since I want a RAM
> drive for faster I/O.  I've got CGIs that run up to 3 times a second and
> each time they read in several big data files and make lots of changes
> to them that have to be committed to disk each time. It is possible to
> use RAM memory for a virtual drive and speed I/O access up, right?

Well, if they have to be committed to disk, then a RAM drive isn't a good
idea as the machine could fail at any time leaving the disk file out
of sync.

If you can get away with flushing to disk every 100 or so requests perhaps
you could keep the data files in a SYSV shared memory area?  I'm not sure
if perl lets you do that kind of thing.

--
Niall Smart.  Microsoft Suck.  See www.freebsd.org for details.
echo "#define if(x) if(!(x))" >> /usr/include/stdio.h