Date:      Thu, 2 Jul 1998 19:15:51 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com, tlambert@primenet.com, mike@smith.net.au, wheelman@nuc.net, steve.a@cableinet.co.uk, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A Little Cancer Patient need Your Attention

> > > And people wonder why I fight for "the right thing" in favor of "the
> > > expedient thing"... it's because I expect to have to live with my
> > > decisions for a long, long time.
> >
> > Yes, but think about it Terry, if everything was done in an expedient manor
> > instead of the proper manor and you lived for a very long time you would
> > have the joy of saying "I told you so" to legions of clueless bozos.
>
> Could someone PLEASE tell me what this has to do with FreeBSD, and why
> we have now gone >>5 rounds with this spam? Can it please end?

Well, this is -chat, for one, so it doesn't really have to be about
FreeBSD, technically.  It's a place to drag off-topic discussions.

You need to read the subtext of the irony to get what he was saying

In this particular case, it comes down to standards and practice in
software engineering, vs. standards and practice that is employed by
the FreeBSD developement effort.

The medical angle is relevent in that I personally fully expect to
have to live with the consequences of my engineering for a long
time; by 2028, a strict linear projection has human life expectancy
increasing at the rate of one year per year.

I also fully expect to have to, in the future, program systems which
are massively more complex than a simple multiprocessor Intel box with
kernel threads and realtime.

Call FreeBSD "cutting our teeth".

A lot of engineering is done expediently, and "damn the consequences
(we'll deal with them later, when we are forced to)".  CV: the Y2K
problem.

This type of engineering is wrong.  It is the engineering equivalent
of "crisis management".

There is an engineering soloution to this engineering problem, but
no one in authority over the organizational architecture is willing
to countenance it; it involves loss of individual power, which is
antithetical to the strange attractors which formed the organization
in the first place.

This can all be modelled mathematically; the models are easy to
understand with no more than a 4th year undergraduate understanding
of partial differential equations (ie: "math 452").  You don't need
an understanding of games theory (though if you had one, the
consequences of the math would be obvious to you).

In any case, the net upshot should be "do the right thing the right
way", or as Seneca, the stoic philosopher from the 4th decate AD
stated in his _Letters From A Stoic_:

	Never substitute activity for action.

If you expect to have to live with the consequences of your actions,
then these are words to live by.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---