Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2000 14:27:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        keramida@ceid.upatras.gr
Cc:        Brian Anderson <bunicula@rcn.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipf/ipnat vs. ipfw/natd

On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> It seems to me that ipf is more flexible than ipfw, but this might be
> my own personal (and admittedly humble) opinion.  The best thing to do
> is try them both and see what you come up with, which one suits you
> better.  Since I was playing with ipfw a few months ago, you might find
> the two articles in my home page listed below of some use when trying
> it out :)

(just my opinion, I don't consider it an expert one)

I generally found ipfw easier to use, but ipf more flexible (because of
keep state), except in one case, which was enough to kill ipfs use for me.
One of the things I prefer about ipfw is that it terminates at first
matching accept/deny rule, whereas ipf evaluates all rules (until it
matches something with quick set), and uses the last match.  Logically,
any set of rules that can be done last match can also be done first match,
and I prefer the efficiency of first match, and typing quick on every line
annoys me.

Consider 3 zones, Internet, DMZ, and SemiSecure.  SemiSecure is an
RFC-reserved network, DMZ is the class C assigned to us by our ISP, and
Internet is the internet at large.

SemiSecure must use NAT to get to Internet.  With ipf, this locks
SemiSecure into using NAT at all times, except for specific pinhole
exceptions, which causes two problems.

First, we'd like to be able to log IP addresses, including SemiSecure
addresses, on machines within the DMZ.  Since NAT is always on, we wind up
logging IP addresses of the inner firewall (the outer one can only do
packet filtering, otherwise I'd do it there).

Second, we have a port range that is reserved on many (over 40) machines
in SemiSecure, that various machines in the DMZ need to be able to connect
to.  The pinhole exceptions that I've found for ipf are pretty much one
address/port to one address/port, which would increase maint. time
unacceptably.

On the other hand, ipf's ability to keep state is nice.