Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2006 19:08:00 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Juraj Lutter <wilbury@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting smbfs as non-root

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o

On Wed, 2006-Dec-20 00:50:15 +0100, Juraj Lutter wrote:
>>I've been experiencing the exactly same issue for too long, too. :-((
>>

>Load the iconv modules as root before letting users to mount.

This doesn't work because it always invokes the sysctl - which sees that
it's non-root and returns EPERM before it discovers that the the requested
maps are already installed.

mount_smbfs is setuid root on Apple (presumably OS-X) and juggles euid
to avoid this and similar problems.  I think the solution is to make
it (at least optionally) setuid on FreeBSD.  I have this on my todo list
but haven't gotten around to it yet.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o