Date:      Sat, 15 Mar 2008 21:16:12 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Razmig K <strontium90@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPFW with user-ppp's NAT

In the last episode (Mar 16), Razmig K said:
> With IPFW enabled in the kernel, I'd like to use the NAT functionality of
> user-ppp instead of natd. Do I need the IPDIVERT option in the kernel and
> the special arrangement of divert and skipto rules in the ruleset? Or, a
> non-NATed ruleset (as demonstrated in handbook section 28.6.5.6) would
> suffice?
>
> If divert rules are necessary, what argument do I need to pass to action
> divert in place of natd?

If you mean the "nat enable yes" option in ppp.conf, that is done
completely within the user-ppp daemon (using the same libalias libarary
that natd uses).  Since user-ppp creates its own tun# device, it can
call the NAT functions as it processes packets to/from that device
without needing IPFW divert rules.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com